Level (click link to browse related records)Collection
Acquisition TermsDonated : 11 March 1980
RefDE2121
TitleRECORDS OF MESSENGER AND CO. LTD., LOUGHBOROUGH
Date1866 - 1977
Extent384 Files
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryThomas Goode Messenger is recorded as having a plumber's, glazier's and glassfitter's business in High Street, Loughborough, as early as 1855. In 1858 he formed his own company of Messenger and Co. and by 1863 is listed as a plumber and hydraulic engineer. By 1877 the firm is described as `horticultural builders and hot water apparatus manufacturers'. In 1874 Walter Chapman Burder purchased the company and in 1884 the business was moved from the High Street premises to Cumberland Road, off Ashby Road. A foundry was then built and further extensions in 1895 led to the complete closure of the High Street Branch. The firm was famous, particularly in the Victorian and Edwardian period, for making greenhouses, verandahs, summer houses, cucumber frames, melon pits, mushroom beds, orchid stages, vineries and peach-houses. As the demand declined from the 1930s, the company began to concentrate more on the manufacture of heating equipment and became an engineering firm. It was also known by the name Midland Horticultural Company.
Related Materialsee DE6706 & DE9292
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019