Level (click link to browse related records)Collection
Acquisition TermsDeposited on indefinite loan : 1958 & 1974
RefDG40
TitleGRETTON (SHERARD) MANUSCRIPTS
DescriptionThe bulk of the collection consists of deeds, mainly of the medieval period, relating to properties held by the Sherards in Leicestershire and Rutland and elsewhere, including an agreement (DE1431/442) made in 1637/8 by Sir William Sherard with the Governor of the province of New Albion, North Virginia to settle a hundred men in the province as resident planters. Estate records include a detailed survey of the manor of Teigh made in 1597 (DE1431/457) and an estate and household account book, 1704-23 (DE1431/449). There are also a number of papers relating to the Irish nobility and Parliamentary attendance at Dublin, 1629-40, including writs to William Lord Sherard to attend the Irish Parliaments summoned in 1634 and 1640.
TITLE DEEDS
Leicestershire:
Stapleford manor etc. 1-50
Stapleford (Basse family) 51-70
Branston by Belvoir 71-73
Burton, Prestwold, Cotes and Wymeswold (Skipwith family) 74-86
Harby 87-112
Saxby 113-172
Scalford 173-195
Sewstern 196-197
Sproxton 198-201
Stathern 202-205
Wymondham and Edmondthorpe 206-212
Various 213-225
Rutland:
Barrow 226-228
Empingham 229-251
Market Overton 252-262
South Luffenham etc. 263-268
Teigh 269-295
Whissendine etc. 296-330
Whitwell 331-336
Various 337-342
Lincolnshire:
Gunby etc. 343-389
Stainby 390-401
Various 402-411
Other Counties
North America 412-441; 442
ESTATE PAPERS 443-459
TAXATION PAPERS 460-480
SHERARD FAMILY WILLS AND SETTLEMENTS 481-517
APPOINTMENTS, WRITS AND ORDERS 518-543
IRISH NOBILITY, AND PARLIAMENTARY ATTENDANCE 544-594
MISCELLANEA 595-638
Datelate 12th c. - 1941
Extent638 Files
Access StatusOpen
Administrative HistoryAdministrative History
Stapleford Park near Melton Mowbray was for almost five hundred years the home of the Sherard family. There were originally two manors in Stapleford known as Hauberk's manor and Nether Wall manor respectively. Hauberk's manor passed to the Sherards at the end of the fourteenth century on the marriage of Robert Sherard, a descendant of the Sherards of Cheshire, to Agnes Hauberk, daughter and co-heir of Lawrence Hauberk. Before the middle of the sixteenth century the Sherards had come into possession of the Nether Hall manor and they had also acquired through the marriage of Thomas Sherard, the aforesaid Robert's grandson, to Margaret, daughter and heir of John Helwell, the manor of Teigh and Whissendine, Rutland. The earliest part of the house now standing was built in 1500 by the aforesaid Thomas. William Sherard, 1588 - 1640, was knighted in 1622 and created Baron of Leitrym in Ireland in 1627. Bennet Sherard, the third Baron of Leitrymwas created Baron Harborough in 1714 and Earl of Harborough in 1719. Perhaps the most memorable member of the family was the last of the Sherards, Robert, sixth Earl of Harborough, who became notorious for his attitude to the local hunts, to the railway and indeed, to anything which was deemed to encroach upon his estate. He died in 1859 and his widow in 1886. The estate was sold up in 1885 being eventually purchased in 1894 by the grandfather of the present owner, Lord Gretton.
Custodial HistoryArchival History
According to a letter written on the 23rd March 1941 at Campsea Ashe, Suffolk, by Lord Ullswater to Lord Gretton (DE1431/624 in the collection) the documents here-listed were discovered by Lord Ullswater "whilst rummaging about amongst my old papers and records recently". Lord Ullstwater presented them to Lord Gretton and they were transferred presumably from Capsea Ashe to Stapleford Park. As Lord Ullswater remarks in his letter the papers probably came into his family's possession through his grandmother, Lucy Eleanor Sherard, the eldest daughter of Philip, 5th Earl of Harborough, who married in 1817 Henry Cecil Lowther of Barleythorpe, Rutland, second son of the First Earl of Lonsdale.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021